Educational Issues Lesson Plan
By: Josephine Mouly and Nicole Carlson
- 1. Essential Question
What are the benefits and downfalls of student clothing in relation to dress codes and uniforms?
- 2. Objectives
- Students will think critically about dress codes and uniforms in schools.
- Students will understand and think about the pros and cons of school uniforms and dress codes.
- Students will leave the class with a broader understanding of student clothing and the issues that surround student clothing.
- 3. Action Plan
- Overview of the lesson (1 minute)
- Introduction (5 minutes)
- We will be talking about student clothing, and we will focus on uniforms as well as dress codes.
- Show videoà http://www.today.com/parents/are-school-uniforms-helping-or-hindering-6C10945768
- Discuss (5 minutes)
- What do you think are some of the benefits of having uniforms in the classroom?
- What do you think are some of the downfalls of having uniforms in the classroom?
- Activity– Debate (10 minutes)
- Split the class into two groups, pro uniforms and con uniforms.
- They will have 5 minutes to prepare the arguments, and then 5 minutes to debate.
- Dress Code Discussion(10 minutes)
- What are some of the benefits of having a dress code enforced in schools? à Quote from a mom about why dress codes are beneficial
- What are some of the downfalls of having a dress code enforced in schools? à Quote from girl that is unhappy with her dress code
- Show video: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27891488 (4 minutes)
- Group discussion Questions
- Wrap-up(2 minutes)
- Both sides make valid arguments
- It is important to be consistent when enforcing a dress code, no matter what the dress code may be.
- Any further questions?
- 4. Resources
- Keenan, R. & Montanera, D. (2014) Do you believe in school uniforms? (Todays Parent) Rogers Publishing Limited. 9(31), 1. Retrieved from: http://0-search.proquest.com.darius.uleth.ca/cbcacomplete/docview/1551685721/6E8A1864A6A445B7PQ/2?accountid=12063